Monday, April 30, 2007

Salsa Experiment


I just finished my third of 10 exams that I have to take this week. I met up with Rose and Michelle at Rose's school and then drove home with Rose while Michelle went to pick up Daisy from the Tingey's. Against my better judgement I decided to take the time to make a fresh batch of my salsa. I usually make it to taste without keeping track of the exact amounts of ingredients that I add. This time I wrote down how much I added of each ingredient. I was thinking of my sister Beth. She mentioned that she wanted my "recipe."

Here is the recipe.

Salsa experiment.

I created this recipe base on a conversation that I had with a woman on the phone from the Casa Lupe restaurant and store in Gridley, CA.
She told me to add a little of this and a little of that to taste. I really wanted the recipe to their salsa and this is what I got. My salsa doesn’t taste like theirs, I think theirs is better. Maybe things just taste better when you have someone else make it for you. This is pretty good salsa just the same. I like it better than almost every other salsa that I’ve had anywhere else except for the salsa at Casa Lupe. I think they put gunpowder in theirs. I don’t have any of that lying around the house.


8 tomatoes
4 sticks celery (I like to add a little bit more of the celery, Michelle likes it with less)
1 ½ cup cilantro
Half of a white onion
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes (sounds like blah canned food, but it does the job)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper (may want to add more to give it a little more kick)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more (1/4 tsp) or less to taste)
2 tblsp chili powder (maybe three, try with two first)
2 tblsp garlic powder (not garlic salt) - to prevent bad breath only add 1 tblsp of garlic powder
1 tsp cumin

dice up every thing to sizes that seem manageable. I like to have the tomatoes largest, then the celery, then the cilantro, then the onions I dice up into the smallest pieces because I don’t like onions that much. . Sometimes I take about a cup and a half or two cups of the salsa and puree it.
If you have a mortar and pestle it might be best to use that instead of a food processor for pureeing.

Mix it all up evenly and you are done. I think that it tastes better after a night in the refrigerator. May want to add limejuice from one lime, but you don’t have to.

compliments of chef devon

after i finished making this i ate a few bites of it. michelle says that my breath stinks now. must have been all that garlic powder.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Devon Call said...

Your breath still stinks love.

Devon Call said...

that was michelle using my account.
i should start brushing in the mornings.